LANG AG has announced its commitment and continued investment in market-leading products compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 from Panasonic Connect Europe, expanding the deployment of the open and flexible IP-based video transmission standard.
The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) created SMPTE ST 2110, a set of open standards for the transmission of video and audio signals over IP, marking a milestone for transmission and media technology, as well as the event industry. This standard defines how digital media can be transmitted over an IP network, including video, audio, and metadata.
Panasonic has recognized the enormous potential of the live broadcast market and has developed various products compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 as part of its portfolio. LANG's customers can rent or purchase this technology for their events and productions, benefiting from new application possibilities based on standardized IP protocols and infrastructures.
The manufacturer-independent, open protocol family around SMPTE ST 2110 and its IPMX version opens up completely new possibilities for IT-based video distribution. Panasonic's extensive product portfolio helps us, and our customers, experience the benefits of this new technology across a wide range of applications, states Pascal Ertl, Product Manager Image Processing & Event IT at LANG.
New applications on IP protocols and infrastructures
SMPTE ST 2110, and with it, the migration from SDI to IP, creates an interoperable and scalable system where all signals necessary for production and transmission facilities can be bidirectionally distributed for the first time over a local network. The standard defines the entire transmission system, supported maximum resolutions, and synchronization between streams through the precision timing protocol. Audio, video, and metadata streams, such as subtitles, teletext, and time codes, are synchronized with each other and can be sent separately and rejoined at the endpoint.
While SMPTE ST 2110 is gradually replacing the SDI interface in the live broadcast sector, it is also the foundation for the IPMX (Internet Protocol Media Experience) transmission format, created by the AIMS industrial consortium. IPMX can operate with light compression, using JPEG-XS as the codec. This allows images to be visually transmitted without loss and with a delay of microseconds. IPMX also supports content protected by HDCP, which is often used in HDMI connections.
We believe that the SMPTE ST 2110 standard will continue to play an increasingly important role as a core technology in the industry and will be a key element in the development of new cameras and mixers. Panasonic is compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 and its entire range of applications, from broadcast applications to compressed JPEG-XS. Our products not only expand network devices but also support a wide variety of AVoIP formats in different application areas, notes Justus Künanz, Sales Engineer at Panasonic Connect.
Panasonic has announced its partnership with JPEG-XS technology provider IntoPIX at NAB 2023.
The following Panasonic products are already compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 and are part of LANG's portfolio:
- The 4K PTZ camera AW-UE160 can be acquired from spring 2023. This was the first compact PTZ in the industry compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 and will be compatible with IPMX, among many other transmission formats, in the coming years.
- The 4K AK-PLV100 studio camera with Super35 sensor will be compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 and IPMX in the near future. Bidirectional SMPTE ST 2110 transmission can operate without CCU, providing the possibility of efficient, IP-based live productions using only the camera head. Compatibility with SMPTE ST 2110 also offers a more effective connection to the KAIROS IT/IP platform.
- As a hybrid system, the KAIROS IT/IP platform supports both baseband signals and SMPTE ST 2110, providing a migration path to powerful IP-based formats. The switching system accepts over 100 SMPTE ST 2110 channels for highly efficient live productions.
- The AK-UCU600 camera base station is also compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 with the optional AK-NP600 board.
- The AK-HC3900 studio camera, which has a strong presence in the corporate sector, is now also compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 with a firmware update purchase.